LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
A Letter of Recommendation is required for those who are to be a Godparent for Baptism or a Sponsor for Confirmation. The pastor must follow the Code of Canon Law, stating that you are in good standing with the Church in order to give the Letter of Recommendation.
You are required to respond in the affirmative to the following:
- I am 16 years of age or older.
- I have received the three Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Eucharist & Confirmation).
- I worship faithfully by attending weekly Mass.
- I have made my Easter Duty (Confession & Communion).
- I am registered in my parish. (Adult children should be registered on their own.) canonically free to carry out this office.
- I am validly married in the Roman Catholic Church. (This would indicate that Catholics publicly living in an invalid marriage (not according to the Church regulations) and those who are cohabiting (living together without marriage) are ineligible.)
- Must be receiving Church envelopes and using them every Sunday. If unable to contribute, put the empty envelope in the basket – it is a record of Mass attendance.
- I have been a registered parishioner for at least six months.
Letters of Recommendation state that the parish priest knows or has evidence that the person(s) requesting the letter are practicing Catholics. Please make sure that there is “evidence” that you are registered, practicing member of the parish and you will have no difficulty in receiving a letter of recommendation to act as a sponsor. Please call the Parish Office (627-2910) for your Letter of Recommendation. Fr. Sean must approve all letters.
Out-of-town college students should receive a letter from their Campus Minister. People in the military should receive a letter from their Chaplain.
In the case of Baptismal sponsors, two Catholic Godparents (1 male, 1 female) is the norm. By exception, there may be one Catholic Godparent and one Christian Witness (Baptized Protestant). Christian Witnesses are also required to present a Letter of Recommendation from their pastor stating they are in good standing as members of their respective Church.
*Please submit the request form below at least 2 weeks before the letter is needed.*